Archive for '3D Digital Cities'
Posted on 21. Sep, 2012 by 3DVW.
In Berlin this week, the INNOTRANS show is drawing large crowds interested in the latest rail technologies. From trains to seat surfaces to electronics and cooling systems, there is something in this show for everyone. Although, most people attending the event are directly interesting in specific aspects of the rail pipeline. My impression of the [...]
Posted on 20. Aug, 2012 by 3DVW.
Can we understand 3D information more? How do we know that? While 3D information appears more realistic in many cases, does it follow that we ‘get-it’? How many times have you watched people unfamiliar with a subject ’not get it’ and then proceed to gleen through material that causes some of us to scratch our [...]
Posted on 31. Jul, 2012 by 3DVW.
Today 3D printing is revolutionizing manufacturing, medicine and traditional printing in many other fields. Objects may be quickly replaced, re-designed and created for use at reduced cost with higher efficiency. Breaking a part or trying to find an old part used to be a tireless effort. The ability to print so many object, even including a [...]
Posted on 26. Jul, 2012 by 3DVW.
Booz Allen Hamilton out together a ‘Wargame’ for the purposes of understanding US infrastructure in 2040. “Booz Allen Hamilton concluded the first-ever “wargame” simulation examining creative infrastructure initiatives and solutions that factor in US transportation needs by the year 2040. Simulation participants generated and explored the impact of fresh ideas such as automated offshore ports and [...]
Posted on 25. Jul, 2012 by 3DVW.
Unmanned aerial vehicles/systems (UAS) were discussed on Capitol Hill this week. The advent of these technologies for civilian use and business applications has significantly expanded, and Washington really does not have a clear policy or pathway for understanding where they fit in. These aircraft can be flown by anyone and it is estimated that 30,000 [...]
Posted on 25. Jul, 2012 by 3DVW.
For years we have been capturing 3D data and constructing maps, building designs, terrains and point clouds – then presenting it in 2D, usually. But that is about to change, and it will signal ‘one major reason why’ we will begin to unearth a whole lot of data that already exists and begin a new [...]
Posted on 19. Jul, 2012 by 3DVW.
That’s a fact. No matter how you look at it, 100% of 3D data is spatial. It might be added that the same is true for 4D data also. Whereas people like to say that geospatial data can be found in about 80% of all applications (not sure where the other 20% goes). It might [...]
Posted on 17. Jul, 2012 by 3DVW.
The folks at EDF have put together a short film about a new 4D Experience of the London Eye. Those who have not experienced 4D will be attracted to learn about the experience and what it entails. The short movie explains how a small girl comes to London and experiences the city and the site. [...]
Posted on 13. Jul, 2012 by 3DVW.
LZRTAG is an Android app that allows you to take a picture, store it in the cloud and then attach a QR Code to the location. There are a wide variety of uses for this, especially where the image could carry unique information such as schematic drawings, high end visualizations and utility information. Think of [...]
Posted on 10. Jul, 2012 by 3DVW.
Last week the Topcon Corporation Headquarters, based in Japan, restructured the company and created a new organizational structure. What was Topcon Positioning Systems Inc, becomes the Positioning Company (products include GNSS, machine control and agriculture). Additionally, what was the Positioning Business Unit now becomes the Smart Infrastructure Company (products include total stations, 3D scanning, mobile [...]